Fall 2019: Monday and Wednesday 1-2 pm, and by appointment
- First Year Japanese: Fall, 2013
- Fourth Year Japanese: Fall, 2013
- First Year Japanese: Spring, 2014
- Pragmatics of Japanese: Spring, 2014
- Third Year Japanese: Fall, 2014
- Fourth Year Japanese: Fall, 2014
Education & Training
- Ph.D., Japanese Language Pedagogy, 2014, The Ohio State University
- M.A., Japanese Language Pedagogy, 2007, The Ohio State University
- B.A., Japanese, 2005, Brigham Young University
- Luft, S. D. (March 2013). How reliable is daily grading? An investigation of the inter-rater reliability of daily grades assigned by trained teachers. Paper presented at the American Association of Teachers of Japanese Annual Spring Conference, San Diego, California.
- Luft, S. D. (September 2012). Japanese language learners’ preparation for class: Case studies in a performed culture-based program. Paper presented at the 61st Midwest Conference on Asian Affairs, Kalamazoo, Michigan.
I find teaching and learning Japanese to be both immensely challenging and immensely rewarding. The challenge of teaching and learning a foreign culture, where using vocabulary and grammar well is the tip of the iceberg, I find fascinating. I try to instill in students a greater understanding of their own culture as well as Japanese culture in all my teaching.
In regard to research interests, I am interested in East Asian second language acquisition and second language pedagogy. Specifically, I am interested in what students do outside of class to study the language and how their out-of-class study efforts might be made more effective. I am also interested in how assessment, particularly daily grading, affects students’ language learning inside and outside the classroom.