Summer Program—SEALS Japan
Scholarships for First and Second Year Japanese (i.e., JPNSE 1061 or JPNSE 1062). We do not offer any scholarship for JPNSE 1020 or 1021.
- In-state tuition: All out-of-state students who register for either JPNSE 1061 or JPNSE 1062 will receive a scholarship that will reduce the tuition fee to the in-state tuition rate for the 10-week, 10-credit course. In 2013, for example, the the tuition rate was $655/credit = $655 x 10 credits = $6,550.
- SEALS applicants intending to take JPNSE 1061 or JPNSE 1062 are eligible to apply for additional financial support. In 2011, for example, we were able to award five tuition-waiver scholarships. To apply for the SEALS scholarship, please send a letter of application (hard copy or e-mail) to Ms. Paula Locante, Administrator, Department of East Asian Languages and Literatures, 702 Old Engineering Hall, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh PA 15260. In the letter, please include:
- Your name, address(es), phone, e-mail
- Indicate whether you are interested in First Year Japanese or Second Year Japanese
- Explain your academic background
- Statement of purpose explaining the reason for studying Japanese and how training in Japanese will fit into your overall academic goal and/or professional career.
- Brief statement of why you need the scholarship
In addition to the letter, have the last school you attended (or are now attending) send us the transcript of your academic performance.
Deadline for application: March 28, 2014.
Note: There is no specific application form.